So I've had a few ideas rolling about and when that happens consistently (as in Mr. BC hears about them more than 5 times in any one given week), I know it's time to do something.
For the last while now, I've been thinking about making a thirty-day commitment to a (undecided as of yet) art form. I've tossed the idea out among a few friends who, while all artists, range greatly in their disciplines. Not a day goes by that I am not creative in some art form (or many of them) but I like the idea of particular goal apart from my daily painting / sewing that would push me to stretch my wings a little wider, test out those feathers I've been preening. What I'm leaning towards is a daily self portrait photograph, which will be know here after as "30 Days of Self."
Now I know this isn't a new idea to the world (in fact some of you - ahem, JSL - are amazing at this), but it is new to me, and that's reason enough to try. So here is where YOU come in: I would love to have any and all who are interested in joining me on this little challenge step up and commit with me. I think the camaraderie, accountability and the closeness in a group sharing a common goal is fantastic and I would love to have you join with me.
Ok now, some guidelines (just in case you're heart is beating a little harder and you're getting sweaty palmed). I think there should be some leeway just to keep this fun and simple so I am suggesting that the 30 Days of Self work this way:
1) We will start Monday, September 1st and end Tuesday September 30th (but who knows, it might be so great that we just keep on forever!).
2) I think we should goal ourselves at capturing 5 self-portraits that we are happy with per week (this can mean ANYTHING you want it to mean, whether you take one picture every day or 50 on Tuesday and 30 on Friday. As long as you feel that you are pushing your-self / striving for consistency, then all's fair).
3) I do not think they all need to be of amazing experiences / places / etc. Personally I am fascinated with daily rituals and mundane chores (but that's another talk for another time), so if half the pictures are of you getting ready for bed, then I still think there will be much that is interesting and provoking about that.
4) I also do not think that the photos have to show your face (but of course they can!). Imagine how amazing a whole month's documentation of what your hands did or where your feet wandered would be.
5) I think the best way to share might be to start up a Flickr group (so let me know your thoughts on that), and upload the previous week's best 5 photos on Sunday / Monday morning.
6) I would love to post a few of the pictures here on my blog each Tuesday, what do you think about that?
7) More than anything, I want to feel good about my own pictures as well as the collection I will have after the month has passed, and would encourage that to be everyone else's goal as well
about doing this and seeing a little more
of your lives so let's