Oh, yes. Apple butter. I've been doing my part this last week to keep our whole building smelling sweetly of cooking apples and baked goods while putting up roughly 30 jars of apple butter for our consumption and Christmas giving (it might be a 50/50 split, as I am pretty greedy with the apple butter).
As a side note, I love the term "putting up." It makes me feel so "frontier woman" doing my part to eat with the seasons, canning in small batches, cooking with real ingredients (corn syrup is the bane of my existence) bought from the growers. I love it. Really truly.
While we're on the subject, here are some things you might need to know about me in the kitchen:
1) I sit on the counter tops. A lot. There is just something about the kitchen that just radiates the heart of my home, it is the natural gathering spot that everyone wants in on. This is a tricky business being that the floor space of my kitchen measures a cool 2.5 feet wide by 10 feet long.
2) I do not own an apron. I probably should (but the two chef aprons that *mysteriously* ended up in my possession after a long stint bartending at a particular well-known establishment
both made their way to my studio and are thusly covered in oil paint).
3) My favorite thing to wear when really getting my "cook on" are my white
4) In said lounge attire I continually play with fire by peeling pomegranates (my favorite, yes, hands down favorite fruit on God's green earth. While in Ca I bought a huge sack and hauled it through airport security as my carry-on, making flirty eyes at the personnel hoping they wouldn't notice the 15 pounds of fruit I was transporting), making Chocolate-Chocolate Cookies, chopping tomatoes for salad and beets for roasting, and then eating on the sofa, plate in lap. And I need to say, they still look pretty great. I would like to say it's because I am ever nimble, but I think that might be stretching the truth *just* a bit.
5) And just to round out the story, yes, all 30+ jars of apple butter saw some quality white lounge pant action.
I tell you, it's a vivacious life I'm living up here in Seattle. Watch out!