The Short list of where and what Umber Dove has been up to for the last few days...
1) A week in sunny California. I know, I always mean to post a bit before I leave, but the whirlwind that is me packing (including the grueling debates between which over-the-knee socks make the biggest statement with which skirt and hat combo - I like to bring a hearty dose of "crazy artist" to the rather small town I grew up in - and the frequent hollers to BC asking if I've completely exceeded my 50 pound suitcase weight limit) combined with my total and complete lack of time-concept generally results in, you guessed it, no time for the blog-o-sphere.
2) Ringing in my baby sister's 21st birthday over clear martinis with a twist (me) and pretty pink ones with a cherry on top (her). Ringing in just-because-we-could with my middle sister over lip-smacking (and seconds inducing) margaritas.
3) Swinging hammers, listing to Allison Krauss and Robert Plant, crafting rings in the wee hours of the night with my mum (in case you did not know, she is a fabulous jewelry designer to boot, and you can visit her shop right here
4) Beignets and Café Au Lait, followed shortly by a powdered sugar high.
5) Finally exchanging Christmas gifts with my family. I genuinely think I get just as much pleasure watching them opening gifts as I when I open my own. And as far as "my own" I was terribly and wonderfully spoiled as ever, feeling incredibly blessed with a family that knows me and all my eccentric tastes so well.
6) Running the old routes through the streets of Lodi, around the lake, through the nature area, startling huge gray squirrels and garnering the wrath of stellar's jays.
7) Eating boiled kale, baked potatoes and dill-Havarti cheese. After eventful meals (and going to TWO brunches on Sunday) it felt stupendous to eat my strange but favorite food combinations.
8) Playing with this little mongrel, my parent's new addition to the family, Fritz of Finney Rock the Yorkie of Spunk. I don't care who you are and how you feel about small dogs, this one is FREAKING ADORABLE I WANT TO EAT HIM HE'S SO CUTE!
I know it doesn't sound like much, but that was exactly the point - I've been in desperate need of a week of "not much." And a visit back home fit the bill.
So here I am, back in Sunny Seattle (yep, it actually is today), holding my to-do list off at arm's length, breathing deep, nesting in, glad to be home.